Tuesday, December 07, 2010

I Made it Without My Hubby! - Red Furniture

I'm participating in Shanty 2 Chic's I Made it Without My Hubby party! Because of the way I assembled my furniture revamp posts, I didn't think it would make for a very smooth transitional link; so I'm re-assembling them here, along with a link to the original post (at the bottom).

While I still have several projects in progress, I think my favorite so far has been the creation of the red furniture.

It all began with this piece:





I saw this beauty at a thrift store in Waco, and tried to be responsible, and walked away instead of buying it. Unfortunately for my sweet husband, I kept thinking about it...and thinking about it...wishing I had bought it when I had the chance...and imagining what I would have done with it, had I bought it. Fortunately for me, my friend had to go back to Waco anyway, and loved me enough to allow me to accompany her, and use her vehicle to transport my beloved furniture piece with all that potential.

While we were there, however, another piece caught my eye...and I got that too. But more on that in a little bit.

So, the reason I was so transfixed by this piece of furniture was that I thought it would be the perfect piece of furniture in our game room. Last Christmas/birthday, I got My Love a projector, and we use it upstairs in the game room. He had a spare coffee table sitting underneath it, with all the electronic odds and ends required for sound, game systems, etc. kind of piled on and around it. I wanted something a little less...college-ish. So, I thought this piece would be perfect. It was nice and low, long, and had two doors with storage. I have a painting upstairs that I absolutely love, and I thought I would try to incorporate some of the colors from that into the room.

But first, I removed the hardware and primed the piece:



Second, I sprayed the hardware down with Rust-Oleum Hammered Black (love anything Rust-Oleum!):


Then, I chose a color - Krylon's Cherry Red spray paint, and purchased a glaze tinted black. I painted the piece with two coats, if I remember correctly, then glazed the details, and voila!:





My insanity was rewarded by this idea being realized. I think it came out extremely well, and I love it!


Now for that other piece that I discovered accidentally at the thrift store. Here she is:







I loved the detail, the unique hardware, and the idea of what it would look like with the other piece! You know, matching without being matchy-matchy? Uh-oh, what had I started? Now I had an end table to go with my entertainment table? :)
I went through the same steps with it. I primed it first:





Painted it red:



Spray-painted the hardware, and added the glaze:







As you might have noticed, I was having way too much fun. And, now that I had two pieces, I felt like one more side table would complete my set for the game room. I turned to my endless source of trouble (with a capital T) and great bargains- craigslist, and found exactly what I was looking for, at the dream price of $10! Seriously! And boy, was she pretty, even before I got a hold of her!:





I followed all the same steps, and was blown away by the results!





I put them all in the game room, paired them with my lamps redone from another project, and couldn't be happier with the finished product! And I made them all without my hubby! ^_^


The actual posts for these items can be found starting here.
Stay tuned for more improvements and revamps! We have our eyes on a new-to-us house -- we're really hoping things work out to get it, and if it does, I'll have lots more projects to send your way! :)

9 comments:

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

Love the red and the glazing really makes it! Did you spray paint red or brush? Popped over from Shanty2Chic

Jenn said...

Thank you, Sue! I spray-painted the red, except for adding a bit extra to the top of the entertainment table. It was a strange, uneven material, so I eventually brushed on a few coats of red enamel paint to try to smooth it out and even it up. Thanks for coming by! :)

Ticia said...

They look great. I still find it amusing that I have almost those exact same end table and want to get rid of them and you're eagerly looking for them.

Jenn said...

Why, thank you very much! Hmm, once we move, perhaps I'll take them off your hands and give you an excuse to get new ones :) I'll even help you look for new ones, if you want - I love craigslist!

Kim @ This Belle Rocks said...

I always pass by furniture that looks like this in the thrift stores because I can never imagine it looking so pretty....your pieces are GORGEOUS!!!

Jenn said...

Thank you so much, Kim! I really love them, and it's all I can do not to keep my eyes open for more, just to see what I could turn them into! Thanks for coming by!

Dorothy said...

I am with Kim, I have always passed them by too. Thank you for sharing and showing us there is always potential. Was wondering what glaze you prefer?

Jenn said...

Alicia, I've only used one type of glaze so far, and found it really easy to use. It's Valspar Tintable Glaze, tinted black. Good luck with your future restorations!

Mandy said...

HOW in the world did you find TWO of them? I just finished one in Blue Ocean Breeze and love it. But now seeing it in red (which is my favorite color!) makes me want another one! Great job. I left a link on A.T.T. to my post.