Friday, January 13, 2012

What'sHisFace's Room

I suppose to some people it will sound bizarre or cruel, but as we have not decided on a name for our unborn son, I've taken to calling him What'sHisFace. I rather like it, and my mother has even converted a smidge and refers to him in texts occasionally as WHF, hahahaha :)

The reason for this post, however, is that I have finally made some progress on the nursery! Here are the before pictures:


The colors on the wall were the test spots. Ironically, I initially chose the bottom color, but once it was around the outlets, it looked too much like a teenage girl's room instead of a baby's nursery, so I returned it to Home Depot (THANK GOODNESS for their policy to accept returned paint, they saved me a fortune, a heart attack, an angry husband, and an embarrassing emotional breakdown in the middle of a hardware store), and got the top one, which is a Disney BEHR color called "Pooh's Favorite Things" (the one I decided against was called "Atta Boy Blue").



Whether this was insanity or not, I had seen several photos of nurseries online with horizontal stripes that I sort of went ga-ga over. I had frequented Project Nursery and searched google images, and horizontal stripes just seemed to be in my future.

Before her daughter was born, I helped paint a friend's nursery, and we did vertical stripes on the top half of the room, and bead board wallpaper on the bottom half. I wish I had a picture of that, but I didn't take one, because I am lame like that. Maybe I can get one from her soon. However, because I had the experience painting stripes from that occasion, I had more than enough confidence that I could tackle this beast as well.

While I'm very pleased with the end result, painting this thing was a NIGHTMARE. Read it, NIGHT-MARE!!! First, I painted the entire room with an eggshell finish.

Then, the hard part started. I had to measure out nine 8.5" stripes around the room. I tried to do it the right way, with a tape measure, and a level, and once I finished the first wall, I realized that I had sloped down a full half an inch from where I started :insert hormonal meltdown here:

Once I regained my composure, I'm fairly certain I spent at least four hours attempting to tape off the next wall, and figure out how to make the lines straight and even. Sadly, it took me until I got to the last wall and a half before I came up with a very efficient way to tape off the wall. Like I said, nightmare.

Here's what part of it looked like while I was taping it off:



Once the stripes were taped off, I used paint the exact same color as the wall, but in a semi-gloss finish to paint them. The result is super subtle, but I love it.

Sometime in the midst of all the taping and measuring, I also painted the outlet covers Krylon Cherry Red in gloss. Normally, I'm a Rustoleum girl through and through, but the color just matched the bedding I've picked out perfectly. I used a dark gray auto primer, and it darkened the color, which I didn't expect, but it still works.

I also picked up two ceiling fan pulls (I don't know what their technical name is, or if they have one), and I love them! How cute are they?!?!?


And here's the rest of the room, striped and ready for the next phase:


As you can probably guess, the colors for the room are aqua and red. I intend for the furniture to be black, and the theme to be a tasteful Dr. Seuss (by that I mean not covered on all surfaces by Dr. Seuss characters -- just with some artwork I intend to make myself). I had considered doing a mural, but I didn't think I would ever be able to bring myself to paint over it.

Next week, I'll be refinishing a glider, a dresser, and a desk/hutch for the room!

Of course, I'll also be working on the garage and the storage unit...so we'll see how much I get done in regards to nursery furniture :)

I can't wait to get a crib, so I can put the bedding in!
This is what it looks like!
It's so bright, colorful, and I love it!
Well, whaddya think?

7 comments:

Scott and Katie said...

It's ADORABLE, Jen!! Way to go!! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Sarah Butler said...

I love it and am quite on bored with the tasteful-hint-of-a-theme theme. It reminds me of a certain Winnie-the-Pooh room in our house. P.S.—I can get you pics if you don't mind that it's now a room for two.

Doug and Heike said...

Such a happy room! I'm sure the pictures don't do it justice! Can't wait to see it in person. =) Love the ceiling fan pulls too, they are an excellent touch!

Ames said...

FYI...do NOT get the crib that the bedding is with. that's anna's crib, and it's a piece of crap. just saying. the room looks great though, cant wait ot see the whole thing!!!
Amy loerke...in case you couldn't tell from my pic....haha

Ticia said...

In case you hadn't noticed I can't bear to paint over the mural in what is now our guest bedroom.

I don't know what I'll do if I ever move.

Young Psychology said...

I love it all! Can't wait to someday meet WHF and get to see his cool room! Want to come redecorate mine for me?? :)

Jenn said...

Yes, Linz, as a matter of fact, I do! :D That would be too much fun! But, I'm going to have to beg for no stripes...though I've always wanted to try a wall stencil :)